How to Choose the Right Controller
Matching the right control solution to your project requires a clear vision of the kind of content you’ll be using—and what effect you desire. In general, choosing the right controller for your project depends on three main factors:
1. Scale of the Lighting System.
Does your design include hundreds, thousands, or hundreds of thousands of light points? Knowing the scale helps determine whether you should build a DMX-based system (100s of light points), or a KiNET-based (Ethernet) system, which can scale up to hundreds of thousands of light points.
2. Scale of the Pre-Programmed Content.
Do you want to have the ability to run a single show (iColorPlayer), a few shows (ColorDial Pro), hundreds of shows (iPlayer 3, Light System Manager) or stream video from a fixed source (Video System Manager).
3. Scale of the Integration or Interactivity.
It’s important to gauge how simple or complex integration will be—as well as the desired level of interactivity.
- Do you want to have local integration using I/O modules?
- Do you want to have local integration with keypads and mobile apps?
Solution—Light System Manager
- Do you want to have remote triggering capabilities over the internet?
Solution: Light System Manager with Interact Landmark.
- Do you want the ability to build mobile applications using API integration?
Solution: Light System Manager with Interact Landmark and Interact API
Download the Color Kinetics Product Guide for an overview of all controller options.
While these three criteria serve as a general guide, Color Kinetics System Experts are available to help you determine what controller is best suited for your project.